Thursday, November 11, 2010

Schvitzing at the Banya (How much does water weigh?)


I went to the russian baths last night. I am a big fan and have been going quite regularly. This time, I did an experiment. I weighed myself going in and then weighed myself coming out. Whilst in the banya (bath in russian) for about 3 hours, I had lost 6 pounds.

Now, I can only imagine that that weight, lost, was water weight. I didn't shit in there, didn't vomit, don't have much fat on my body in the first place but can't imagine that the sauna burns too much fat... So, I am left to assume that I sweated out 6 pounds worth of water. On top of that, I drank 1.5 liters of water in the Banya!

So, I did a bit of googling and got here. Apparently, a gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds. Therefore, 6 pounds is equal to .72 gallons. Add to that the 1.5 liters I drank, and I have sweated out about 1.12 gallons of water in a 3 hour visit the the baths. THAT'S A LOT OF WATER!

Man, that's a good schvitz. Soak the Vinick and give me a Platz.

No comments:

Post a Comment